The incumbent will work closely with the Senior Compliance Officer and the Manager (Investment Management Compliance) monitoring 1832’s Charles River Compliance Module and assisting with department special projects as required.
- Investigates and resolves trading and portfolio management compliance breaches arising from post trade reviews.
- Review and investigate trading compliance violations as they occur and provide an appropriate response in order to promptly execute the trade(s).
- In the conduct of all activities, pro-actively identifies actual and potential violations of regulatory requirements, internal policies and procedures, and/or other high risk situations in a timely manner to mitigate business and operational risk.
- Conducts appropriate inquiries and investigations in relation to any such situation and ensures that appropriate corrective actions and/or risk mitigation actions are implemented in a timely manner or escalated.
- The incumbent will use his/her analytical skills to conduct relevant research and arrive at conclusions and/or recommendations based on the exercise of good judgment on moderately complex decisions falling within standard policies; and escalate matters beyond existing policies.
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of the 1832 Funds and Client Accounts Constraint Rule Library with the goal of ensuring all fund and client constraints are properly identified and documented. Works with the Senior Compliance Officer and Manager to ensure all identified constraints are controlled for within the electronic trading surveillance system.
- Provides compliance approvals, or assesses requests for approval and makes recommendations to Compliance management.
- Develop a thorough understanding, with guidance, of the investment strategies employed by 1832 and assists in ensuring the strategies are controlled for within the electronic trading surveillance system.
- Ensures that compliance review procedures are conducted in a high quality, risk-based manner and appropriate follow-up actions are taken.
- Assists in identifying gaps in the existing compliance program and participates in developing, maintaining, and implementing changes to the firm’s compliance policies and procedures.
- Maintains a high level of awareness of compliance related changes and developments in the securities industry through review of publications, participation in industry associations, employee development initiatives, etc.
- Prepares and coordinate Compliance management reports.
- Other duties and projects as may be assigned from time to time.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in the financial services industry, preferably within a mutual fund company;
- Canadian Securities Course or working towards is a must;
- Other Securities Industry Courses (CSI) such as derivative fundamental course or options course are an asset;
- College Diploma or University Degree;
- Advanced knowledge of Excel is a must;
- Experience in Charles River Compliance Module programming and compliance test set-up is an asset
- Knowledge of Bloomberg is an asset
- Knowledge of the investment restrictions in National Instrument 81-102 an asset, but not required.
- The position is within the 1832 Compliance Department – ability to garner credibility with Trading and Portfolio Management staff a key component of success.