- Monitoring new client and new matter openings to ensure that all necessary information and AML documentation is supplied, including reviewing initial risk assessments and PEP status and following up with enquiries to fee-earners where necessary. Assisting secretaries with trouble-shooting the electronic system and providing guidance on internal procedures.
- Identifying potential PEPs and high risk clients and using the firm’s due diligence information providers to raise any concerns (including reputational risk) regarding any whom may be on a government financial sanctions list within the UK or worldwide. Monitoring periodically any such clients recorded in our PEP and high risk client Register.
- Working closely with fee earners and secretaries to advise them on client due diligence requirements and the Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017.
- Preparing, circulating and monitoring regularly reports detailing clients with outstanding AML requirements and following up until completion. Circulating monthly reports to Departmental Secretarial Managers. Preparing and circulating the daily new clients and new matters email to the firm.
- Liaising with the Accounts Treasury team re AML issues (such as unapproved funds received into client account or third party payments).
- Carrying out inductions for new joiner secretaries in relation to client opening and AML requirements.
- Ownership and maintenance of the firm’s AML intranet page and its contents including drafting internal guidance notes on AML matters and due diligence checklists.
- Organising and attending quarterly Money Laundering Reporting Officer group meetings to discuss current issues, problems and best practice and producing minutes.
- Maintenance of the firm’s Undertakings, Gifts & Hospitality and PEP Registers using online software.
- Contributing to Finance & Risk Team-specific projects, steering groups or committees and maintaining an awareness of any other Business Services area initiatives or system implementations.
- Assisting with annual renewals of professional indemnity insurance and general insurance policies and dealing with general enquiries.
- Assisting with maintenance of the firm’s quality accreditations (including Lexcel).
- Assisting with the firm’s internal annual file review exercise.
- Assisting with the implementation and management of the firm’s information security barriers.
- Dealing with everyday queries from fee earners / Business Services staff on core compliance topics and advising on the firm’s BASS office manual and supporting Annexures.
Skills and Experience
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong attention to detail and able to effectively manage and prioritise workloads during busy periods.
- Excellent IT Skills and competency in client onboarding software and Microsoft Office applications.
- Good understanding of the Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017 and associated legislation.
- Strong team player with an enthusiastic and proactive approach.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills are required, as is a positive approach and the ability to work confidently and competently with all levels of staff.
- Must be able to prioritise, multi-task and meet tight deadlines.
- Demonstrable experience of at least 3 years working within a risk & compliance role in a legal services environment.
- A desire to learn.
Sign Up to Bookmark Jobs, Keep Track of Completed Applications and Receive Recommended Jobs