The Japan Chief Compliance Officer oversees the Independent Compliance Risk Management (ICRM) and AML Programs in Japan. The Japan Chief Compliance Officer works closely with Japan senior management to ensure that Citi has a robust compliance risk management framework in place in Japan.The Japan Chief Compliance Officer also plays an important role in coordinating and implementing various global ICRM initiatives in Japan, under the direction of the Global Chief Compliance Officer. The Japan Chief Compliance Officer will report locally to the Japan CEO and functionally to the Global Chief Compliance Officer in New York.The Japan Chief Compliance Officer will be a member of the Country Coordinating Committee and other key governance committees in Japan.
The Chief Compliance Officer will have the following responsibilities:
- Lead a team of approximately 45 Compliance professionals to cover all aspects of the ICRM Program including Advisory Compliance, Surveillance, Assurance, Central, and Control Group.
- Lead a team of approximately 23 AML professionals to cover all aspects of the AML Program.
- Leverage industry best practices to create efficiencies in process including sales practices, marketing review, surveillance, assurance and trading and employee compliance.
- Provide advice to the Japan CEO and other senior management in Japan on compliance requirements and implications of business strategies and initiatives.
- Build a comprehensive understanding of the local market, key clients, local market conditions and the capabilities and practices of our competitors.
- Use broad knowledge and expertise to clearly define complex issues despite incomplete or ambiguous information.
- Create and sustain a network of strong partnerships with the business and other franchise risk functions.
- Serve as the liaison with regulators, IA and external auditors on all significant compliance related issues.
- Prepare the country programs for, and act as interface on, all significant compliance-related examinations.
- Be accountable for the Compliance and AML budgets in Japan.
- Exercise personnel decisions for Compliance and AML staff in Japan and carry out related people management responsibilities, e.g., performance evaluations, training & development, succession planning, etc. – in partnership with local management and offshore partners.
Qualifications & experience
- 10 or more years of relevant compliance experience in financial industry.
- BA/BS or equivalent required.
- Strong communicator and effective leader of complex organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to be an effective business partner and strategic thinker, be able to quickly gain credibility with the business leaders by exhibiting a high level of interest, expertise, responsiveness and engagement.
- Experienced in partnering with global peers in implementing global initiatives.
- Experience with direct interface with regulators. Substantial and broad-based knowledge ofand experience in applying laws and regulations.
- Strong communication skills to deal with internal and external constituencies, including many of the most senior business leaders in the Company, outside counsel, regulatory officials, counterparts at other companies and industry representatives.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with ability to influence and create alignment at senior levels across multiple products, clients, geographies and competing priorities
- Bi-lingual – ability to speak, read and write both fluent / native Japanese and English.
- Bi-cultural – experience and ability to work both in Japanese financial industry and in global banking business/markets.
- Good project leadership and change management skills