- Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) is an industry leading technology company that enables customers to go further, faster. With the industry’s most comprehensive portfolio, spanning the cloud to the data center to workplace applications, our technology and services help customers around the world make IT more efficient, more productive and more secure.
- The effective management and leveraging of HPE’s intellectual property, on behalf of HPE’s global business units, across the full range of IP transactions, is a key function within HPE’s Office of the General Counsel.
- HPE’s Office of the General Counsel is leading the way for in-house legal departments through our client-first orientation, unique approach to talent development, innovative use of tools and technology, and commitment to pro bono work.
- Reporting to the Associate General Counsel, Intellectual Property Transactions & Counseling, the successful candidate will provide IP transactional support to both business unit clients and to the IP Sales and Licensing team. The successful candidate will also support M&A and other special projects as needed.
- Provide business-focused IP solutions to all levels of management within the supported client group. Handle complex IP and technology transactions such as joint development agreements, patent sales and licensing, patent pool and standards agreements, university collaboration agreements, NDAs and other IP agreements.
- Responsibilities include agreement drafting, negotiation, and encumbrance review. Will perform infringement and evidence of use analysis and prepare, present and defend claim charts.
- Communicate HPE’s IP strategy effectively at all levels within HPE’s organization and prevent loss of IP value by obtaining the best possible IP terms for HPE in a wide range of transactions.
- Advise clients on legal risks in a compressed-timeline, business-critical deal environment.
- Prepare and review submissions to HPE’s IP Approval Board for escalation, review and approve non-standard IP terms, review HPE’s participation in standards setting organizations and patent pools and work on other non-product related IP out-licensing.
Experience and Qualifications
- 5-10+ years proven experience and success in providing intellectual property transactional counseling in a high technology environment, including experience providing legal support for patent monetization activities. Strong understanding of intellectual property law required.
- Strong team player with excellent collaborative and influencing skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, including the ability to deliver executive level presentations and an ability to successfully interact with a wide variety of clients, business partners, competitors, opposing counsel and others.
- Appropriate technical degree (EE, CS, Physics or equivalent)
- Industry knowledge in appropriate technology fields is a plus
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree, Bar qualification
- USPTO/EPO/JPO Admission (or equivalent)
- Location: Berkeley Heights, NJ; Herndon, VA; Plano, TX; Houston, TX; or Palo Alto, CA
- Some travel may be required
Sign Up to Bookmark Jobs, Keep Track of Completed Applications and Receive Recommended Jobs